What We Do
MAKING THE FUTURE WITH FORESIGHT
IFTF brings people together to make the future—today. Whether you’re a strategic leader in a large organization or a community leader in a struggling neighborhood or a netizen who wants to mobilize global crowds, we have practical tools, research, and programs that turn foresight into the critical new insights that ultimately lead to action.
As an independent, non-profit research organization with a nearly 50-year track record of helping all kinds of organizations make the futures they want, IFTF's core research staff and creative design studio work together to provide practical foresight for a world undergoing rapid change.
IFTF has pioneered tools and methods for building foresight ever since its founding days. Co-founder Olaf Helmer was the inventor of the Delphi Method, and early projects developed cross-impact analysis and scenario tools. Today, IFTF is methodologically agnostic, with a brimming toolkit of foresight methodologies.
A Quick Video Introduction to IFTF ...
From intimate workshops to global online games, we have a toolkit of frameworks, processes, and platforms to tap the best insights of groups to imagine—and create—the futures they want for their organizations, their communities, and the world.
- Foresight Training—workshops in facilitating conversations about the future
- Participatory Strategy—making the future with foresight, insight, and action
- Learning Journeys—interactive and curated encounters with the bits and pieces of the future that are already playing out in Silicon Valley
- Foresight Engine—an online collaborative forecasting game
Using innovative research methodologies, IFTF draws on its worldwide network of thought leaders and professional researchers to produce leading-edge foresight. This foresight takes many forms, from signals of innovation and disruption to alternative scenarios that help build more resilient strategies. IFTF collates this foresight into strong point-of-view forecasts, maps of the emerging landscape, and artifacts that make the future tangible today.
- Human+Machine Futures in Full Color—a map of extending senses and selves
- Information Ecosystems of Well-being—a map, toolkit, and artifacts from the future
- The Future of Coordination—a toolkit for making the future
Making the future is an inherently collaborative process, and IFTF’s membership programs, labs, and initiatives are the venue for future-oriented leaders to share foresight, build insight, and plot a course of action for their organizations. We offer membership programs that support long-term thinking and long-term collegial networks.
- Ten-Year Forecast—a broad annual scan of the changing global landscape
- Tech Futures Lab—a deep dive into cutting-edge technologies and practices
- Health Futures—cutting-edge perspectives on health care and the larger ecosystems of well-being
- Food Futures Lab—a probe into the dilemmas and innovations in food and agriculture
- Blockchain Futures Lab—a research initiative and a community for identifying the opportunities and limits of blockchain technologies
- Foresight Studio—helping individuals and organizations learn the tools of foresight
- Workable Futures Initiative—socialstructing organizations, skills, innovation
- Learning Futures Lab—unpacking disruptive forces and mapping key drivers re-shaping education
- Future for Good—tackling the real dilemmas of the future today
- Governance Futures Lab—reimagining governance