Envision UC Davis: A Collaborative Forecasting Game
On February 24–25, 2016 the UC Davis community convened to run a collaborative forecasting game about the future of UC Davis in the year 2026: Envision UC Davis. The purpose of this game was to seek widespread community input as part of the University of the 21st Century Initiative.
Overall, players envision UC Davis as a well-connected leader in a global network of innovation and experimentation in the next decade, and as a research university, UC Davis is viewed as a laboratory that tests and shares bold new ideas with the world. Players believe UC Davis has a great deal to contribute and share, and should continue to be a leader in education and research by adapting to serve the changing needs of students and faculty in the 21st century.
The Foresight Engine Game
Envision UC Davis took place primarily on IFTF's Foresight Engine™ platform, which the Institute for the Future developed to engage large numbers of people in a fast-paced ideation effort to map the future.
The game began with a video scenario—a peek into a possible future for UC Davis. This video was designed to be provocative; to invite players to think about how the world is changing and how those changes might change opportunities for themselves and for UC Davis.
2,492 players—ranging from students—to faculty, staff and beyond from across the UC Davis community registered to play. Together, they shared 28,226 ideas in response to the question:
UC Davis, what are YOUR futures?
Participants drew from many disciplines across campus, and consisted of students, faculty, staff, alumni, and more. During game play, face-to-face game “huddles” took place in locations across campus so that people could meet up and play with their friends and colleagues. The game trended on Twitter in the Sacramento area while it was live.
- UC Davis uses online game to crowdsource its future (Center for Digital Education)
- UC Davis will play a massive online game for 36 hours straight (CBS13’s Good Day Sacramento)
- UC Davis students play online game to reshape university (Sacramento Bee)
- UC Davis builds a video game to chart its future (Global Services)
- UC Davis uses a game to chart its future (VentureBeat)
For More Information
- Envision UC Davis Game Summary Report (PDF)
- Envision UC Davis project: Rachel Hatch | email@example.com
- Foresight Engine platform: Sean Ness | firstname.lastname@example.org