The IFTF Blog
Living Longer, Aging Well: #AgingForward
Redesigning our Experience of the Next Decade
By 2025, older adults will comprise a greater portion of our society than at any time in human history. In the next decade, age-related illnesses and labor dynamics threaten to strain our institutions and support systems in unprecedented ways, upending assumptions about what it means to age well. To address the varied and competing needs of aging in the next 10 years, we’ll look to both social and technological shifts to holistically support four core facets of aging well—body, mind, wealth, and relationships.
On June 5 and 6, we host our annual member-only Health Horizons conference, where we’ll dive deep into the shifts in society and technology that are transforming these four facets of aging. From programs enacted by our formal institutions to narratives and practices emerging within communities, these new approaches have the potential to scale over the next decade and enable new kinds of innovation opportunities.
During the conference, attendees will meet many visionaries driving new approaches to aging, as well as designers who will help us understand how these big shifts will affect the human experience of aging:
- Ashton Applewhite, Author of This Chair Rocks (@thinkytype)
- Chiara Bell, Chief Executive Officer, Careticker (@Careticker)
- Gordon Bell, Researcher Emeritas, Microsoft
- Ted Berger, David Packard Professor of Biomedical Engineering, University of Southern California
- James Bonner & Norman Wang, Founders, Opaque Multimedia Australia (@CosmicHorizon)
- Katy Fike, Founder, Aging 2.0 (@Katy_Thomas)
- Sara Hendren, Blogger & Designer, Abler (@ablerism)
- Lisa Hendrickson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Avenidas (@Avenidas4u)
- Jan Hively, Founder, Pass It On Networks
- Rajiv Mehta, Principal, Bhageera Consulting
- Jerry Millhon, Executive Director of the Whidbey Institute (@whidbeyinst)
- Carina Ngai, Lead User Experience Designer, Netflix (@caweena)
- Miya Osaki, Partner, Diagram
- Tina Park, Partner, Diagram (@diagramoffice)
- Anupam Pathak, Chief Executive Officer, Lift Labs (@anupamSF)
- Miriam Songster, Artist, Co-Founder, b100
Together, we’ll engage in a process of balancing the big picture and the lives of individuals to identify new opportunities for designing system-level approaches to ensure that individuals age well.
Even if you won't join us at the conference, you can participate online by following #AgingForward; we’ll tweet live from the conference from @IFTF. We're excited about the new research we're presenting at the conference and hope you'll follow along!
For More Information
For more on Health Horizons’ aging-related research, please check out our ongoing Aging Forward series of online conversations. For more information about joining the Health Horizons program, please contact Dawn Alva (firstname.lastname@example.org or 650-233-9585).